Blogs > Sixers Dish

A Philadelphia 76ers blog, hosted by Christopher A. Vito

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

WAYNS: 'GOT A CHIP ON MY SHOULDER'

(AP)
The other night, Maalik Wayns drove the lane, glided between a pair of defenders and hit a layup for an and-one.

He also slammed his hip on the floor.

“Hit my hip, but I’m fine," Wayns said.

The undrafted rookie out of Villanova, with a so-what attitude and surprisingly sterling play, has played his way into a legitimate shot at a roster spot. On more than one occasion, Sixers coach Doug Collins has called Wayns' performances "terrific."



“I’ve just got a chip on my shoulder. I’m playing to prove myself," Wayns said. "I felt, really, like I was let down when I didn’t get drafted. I felt like I was disrespected. Now I’m just trying to prove myself and make people pay."

Wayns, who has played mostly with the Sixers' second unit, is averaging 11 points, 5.7 assists and 3 rebounds per game in three preseason games with the team, which faces Cleveland tonight at 7 p.m. at Wells Fargo Center.

The more minutes he gets, Wayns said, the more he feels he's earned Collins' trust.

“That’s definitely great," he said. "I’ve got a great coach who believes in me and has that much confidence in me. I get to play. You could be a top-10 pick and not get to play, and I’m an undrafted rookie playing, having the ball in my hands and making calls on the floor. It’s a great situation for me.

“I’ve been a worker my whole life. I never was given nothing in my life, so I’m used to working for things. When I came into camp, I knew what it was about and it was about working and trying to earn minutes and earn a place on this team and earn respect."

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home