Blogs > Sixers Dish

A Philadelphia 76ers blog, hosted by Christopher A. Vito

Friday, December 21, 2012

ANDREW BYNUM CLEARED TO RAMP UP REHAB; ALSO TALKS ABOUT LENGTH OF HIS CAREER, FRENCH-BRAIDED HAIR

(Associated Press)
 Andrew Bynum said the bone bruises in his knees are gone, they feel better (aside from a little pain in his left knee) and he's been cleared to begin the first of a six-phase rehab -- which means a stationary bike.

Here's what Bynum had to say before the Sixers' game Friday against Atlanta:

An update?
“The bone bruise is healed, so that's good. There's still cartilage in my left knee. We're working on a plan right now, waiting for Altchek to come back to us and say, 'Let's go.'”

Baby step or a decent step?
“I consider this a baby step, as of right now. We all want it to resolve itself without surgery or anything. There's a really good possibility that's going to be the case.”

Still pain in the left?
“Yeah, there's still pain, but it's minimal.”

Level of optimism in playing?
“Right now, from what the doctors tell me, we should be good. I don't know exactly when, but they said it should resolve itself.”

First phase of rehab starts on a bike?
“Pretty sure it starts on a bike, squats and general stuff.”

Knees feel better now than a month ago?
“They feel real good right now. I'm confident I'll be back on the court this season.”

Surgery still possible?
“No, that's off the table. That's what the doctors said.”

Was that a worry coming into today?
“We got good news out of today. I don't want to sell it short. The bone bruises are healed and the swelling is gone, so those two things are great. We're just waiting for mechanical things, and that's going to take anywhere from a month to two. I have no idea, but we're going to work toward grinding out so it's not causing me anymore problems.”

Media day, we heard opening night. Then we heard you'd be playing by now...
“None of which you heard from me. We got working together. The doctors are taking their time because I want to play for another 10, 12 years, not two. So I think the biggest thing here is to take our time and do it right.”

If playoffs were here, would you play?
“I would consider it, but I'd rather get this mechanical issue away because it opens the door for further risk.”

On this being an issue in contract year
“It is and it isn't. I can't think about it. I just have to go out and play well when I get back. That's it.”

On the 'mechanical issues'
“Just in the function of walking, taking steps, a little bit of catching. We think it'll take care of itself in time.”

Timetable?
“I really don't know. It's just that I know I will be back. It's not a career-ending situation.”

Imagine being on a bike, running?
“That's going to be tough, but it's going to be something I want to go through and just do it and get back in shape. That's the real reason why it's unrealistic to say I'll be back in a couple weeks here or for anybody to have that type of notion. As I said, the knee is good, but we still have a ways to go before I get back.”

How's the right knee?
“The right knee is cool. No problems at all.”

What's with the cornrows?
“It's French braids, man.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home