Blogs > Sixers Dish

A Philadelphia 76ers blog, hosted by Christopher A. Vito

Thursday, January 24, 2013

JRUE HOLIDAY IS AN ALL-STAR

(Associated Press)


Jrue Holiday is an All-Star.

The Sixers point guard was selected Thursday by a vote of Eastern Conference coaches to be a reserve for the NBA’s All-Star Game, to be played Feb. 17 in Houston. 

It’s Holiday’s first selection, though he played in the Rookie Challenge in 2011 as a second-year guy the same weekend as the All-Star Game. It’s also the second straight year the Sixers will have a representative in the All-Star Game, with Andre Iguodala making it a year ago.

“It shows you can really play,” Holiday said the other day, of the potential of getting picked. “Not too many people get to be all-stars. It’s huge to get recognized in that way and for a few people to think of me as one of the best in the game this year is great.”

A fourth-year guard, Holiday is averaging 19.0 points and 9.0 assists for the Sixers. Validating Holiday’s status as an All-Star pick: He’s the only player in the league averaging at least 19/9, and the Sixers (17-25) were winless in the four games he missed in December with a left foot injury.

This week, Holiday said he didn’t want to get too amped up for the possibility of getting chosen.

“I guess I’m the type where I don’t get excited until it’s the actual day, the actual night when it’s going to come,” he said. “My fiancée just keeps telling me, ‘I have a feeling.’ Come Thursday, I might be a little on the edge of my seat.”

The rest of the East reserves are: Chicago's Luol Deng and Joakim Noah, Cleveland's Kyrie Irving, Miami's Chris Bosh, Indiana's Paul George and  New York's Tyson Chandler.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home